Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us

Being a minority and growing up in a predominantly “white world” can be a bit confusing. I can remember being young and asking my mom why my noise wasn’t so pointy or why my hair wasn’t bone straight. These questions didn’t appear because I watched too many cartoons or because I was exposed to Disney princesses. My questions aroused because I was constantly exposed to these types of looks in my environment. I knew I wasn’t ugly, I just knew I looked “different”.

In Unlearning the Myths that Bind Us by Linda Christensen, we are introduced to a black freshman named Kenya who “scolds” her parents in an essay she has written. Kenya draws the question “A Black Cinderella?” and answers by saying, ”Give me a break." She sums up her thoughts by saying, “Women who aren’t white begin to feel left out and ugly because they never get to play the role of this princess.” By "this princess," Kenya means the role you never saw a women of color playing.


  •  I will give a reflection against Kenya’s quote because I have seen a black Cinderella.  Perhaps, seeing a black Cinderella at the age of five gave me hope that women of color would not be left out.
Did you know in 1997 The Wonderful World of Disney and Whitney Houston Presented an updated version of the classic Rodgers and Hammerstein Cinderella? Brandy Norwood a very popular R&B and well-known actress starred as Cinderella and Whitney Houston played the Fairy Godmother character. I was in love with this version Cinderella because for once I was physically able to relate to this idol all young girls wanted to be. Although, growing up I preferred playing outside rather then being a princess and playing dress up. However, after seeing Brandy be Cinderella I believed I could too. This was a great feeling and I still remember the first time I saw the movie. 



 

Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella staring Brady and Whitney Houston if you would like to watch sometime :D 


*************************************************************************************


I want everyone to think about how they would like to raise their children and what they would like them to view (or be influenced by). Now a days there are many different reality TV shows that children have unlimited access to if they are not being monitored consistently. Now, reality TV are not the only influential shows as we learned by reading the article but they air on many different TV stations. We need to start thinking about these things early because before we know it, we will be parents or may already be. We also may be older siblings, aunts, older cousins, or maybe just a mentor. 




2 comments:

  1. Oh my god I love this post. I LOVE this version of Cinderella, though as a kid I didn't understand why everyone wasn't white and only some of the people were. It confused the hell out of me but I've come to really enjoy this film.

    Unfortunately, this is the only "mainstream" black Cinderella that we see in mass media, especially until Tiana came onto the Disney screen. While white girls get the opportunity to be Belle - the bookworm, Ariel - the adventurer, Cinderella - rags to riches, Aurora - tragic beauty, Snow White - pure innocence and love, etc. it definitely does beg the question, what roles are we applying to women of color. It makes sense, therefore to me at least, that we resign ourselves to looking at Brandy's depiction of Cinderella and think "Yeah Diversity!" when honestly, so many other girls are just waiting to see themselves be something other than a servant girl.

    I just really wish there was more representations out there of all types of real women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this movie existed! Thank you for the information:) Your question about how I would raise my children and what I would want them to view/be influenced by got my thinking....I'm not really sure yet because I feel like I don't have enough knowledge about everything to make any set decisions:/

    ReplyDelete